THE ROLE OF COMMUNICATION IN THE MANAGEMENT OF AN ENTERPRISE
Effective communication is the life blood of every organization and a key to success in one’s business career as well as in one’s personal life. So important is communication that without it no organization can function well. Since an organization is a group of people associated for business, political, professional, religious, athletic or other purposes, its activities require human beings to interact and react with, to exchange information, ideas, plans, proposals and to make decisions. Communication in every organization is always in two ways, most especially in any business organization. The two ways communication systems are:
– Internal communication
– External communication
Effective “downward” and upward internal communication is a vital means of attending successfully to matters of company concerns. It helps increase absenteeism, grievances, it also brings about increased job satisfaction, productivity and profits.Then employees receive appropriate downward communication from management, they can be better motivated and more efficient. They want and need honest information about their company’s current business problems and success that concerns them. They appreciate receiving not only clear task direction, but also facts about organizational goals, producers and viewpoints on important controversial issues, relevant to management decisions and employee benefits.Upward internal communication has become increasingly more significant. Many executives sincerely seek frank feed-back from employees and stakeholders.
Business executives listen to opinions, new ideas, complaints and suggestions especially when these are clearly and effectively stated.
External communication: to persons outside the company-customers, suppliers and the public so that they can handle a far reaching effect on the reputation and ultimate success of the company. Letters, telephones calls or personal conversation can win back a disgruntled customer, create a desire for a firm’s product or services, can negotiate a profitable sales, and can help to inquire who is a potential customer in creating good will. In fact, jobs and career opportunities in which effective communication is the main responsibility and are available in various areas such as customer relations, sales labour relations, marketing, advertising, personnel, public relations and teaching.
Effective communication also helps to accomplish certain aims as an individual in the society. You will sometime need to write letter and report or present your views orally as committee chairperson, club officer or private citizen. In performing these, you might communicate with public officials, business firms, suppliers or club members. Whatever be your purpose you will achieve them more effectively when you apply the same skills that help you communicate effectively in business.
1.2 STATEMENT OF PROBLEM
Some of the problems which this sturdy is seeking to are those highlighted hereunder:
1. What are the challenges management face in disseminating information
2. What are the usual communication barriers experiences by business executives in their day-to-day managerial duties?
3. What is the impact of communication in a business organization?
4. What are the effect of communication on customers?
5. Does effective communication play a meaningful role in the success of a business organization?
1.3 OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
The study aims at achieving the following objectives:
1. To examine the extent to which communication can be regarded as the live wire of an organization.
2. To identify the elements of communication that make the management of an enterprise explicit.
3. To reveal to business management the importance of communication and the likely problems which communication breakdown can cause.
4. To encourage effective inter-personal relationships among employees in an organization.
5. To make managers understand that the image of an organization depends on its ability to communicate with the society around it